Thursday, July 12, 2012

The Windy City!

A few weeks ago I took my very first vacation away from baby boy.  It was hard to leave him but I knew that a short trip would be good for my soul.  And mama needed a break!!  So, off to Chicago I went!


Why Chicago, you ask?  My BFF, Lesley, just moved up there last November and I was dying to see her face.  She had a few weeks carved out when her house was going to be child and husband free so I jumped on this rare occasion.  (Her hubby and children were going to exotic Africa - so cool!!). The thought of sleeping in, drinking coffee in the morning with my BFF, watching our favorite 90210 episodes without interruption, and just simply doing nothing are a mothers dream come true. And this is exactly what we did!!!  :)


Ok, so we weren't total bums during my stay.  We ventured into the city on a Friday afternoon and became tourist.  The weather was perfect.....warm summer breeze with a slight overcast shielding us from the sun. (Just want to add that the day before it was so hot we were dripping sweat all over our backyard dinner).
We decided that our first stop would be Navy Pier by lake.  I had no idea Lake Michigan was so pretty. Being a native Texan when I think of a lake my first thought is "eww, gross" but this lake was like an ocean.  Blue and choppy.....and seemed to have no end.   With the sound of seagulls along the pier I felt like I was in a beach town.  We shopped for souvenirs, got a caricature drawn (which looked NOTHING like us), I inhaled Garretts popcorn (OMG, yummy!), took a boat tour, drank a Horny Goat drink at Billy Goat Tavern, and tried to hop on a carousel without paying (we chickened out...so not like us!).  We then headed over to Millennium Park to see The Bean.  Not really sure about the history behind it but this thing is pretty cool!!  We took our picture in the reflection (which is a tourist must!) and laid underneath.  We drove past the Magnificent Mile with very much reminded me of the streets of London. Next stop was Buckingham Fountain.  There is the cutest little cafe right by the fountain where we indulged in some sweet desserts.  We also saw the Crown Fountain which is in the middle of the city and it spouts out water from a digital face.  I LOVED this fountain.  Everyone was running around in the water (which was ice cold) having a great time. 
We skipped the Sears Tower and the John Hancock Building b/c both Les and I are not to keen on high places.  Did you know the Hancock Building sways as much as 6 feet from left to right.....no, thank you - PASS!! 

It was time to leave the city and head back to Lesley's house.  Driving through city I realize how much I love it in Chicago and felt very sad to leave.  Such a beautiful place!! 

Can't wait for my next visit and to see my sweet bestie!! 

Hugs,
Katie



Me and my bestie - Lesley!  Love her to pieces!!
 

Me by Lake Michigan!



Me and Lesley  - BFF's!



The Bean!

Reflection in The Bean



 
The Plaza - Great place for date night


Buckingham Fountain

About to take a boat tour.

Bean reflection

Crown Fountain



























No comments:

Post a Comment